We just coined that term at home for the biscuit-style soda bread I make for a quick soup accompaniment. Rather than just all purpose flour, I use a combination of flax meal and Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake Mix. Can substitute regular all purpose flour instead of the 10 grain pancake mix and increase the baking powder from 1 Tbsp to 2 Tbsp for this recipe - won't be "multigrain" puff bread anymore...
Each batch is flavored differently - garlic and herbs, just salt, cheese and olives... but the most favorite with the kids is the Cinnamon Raisin Multigrain Puff Bread I pack for school lunches and sometimes for morning breakfast.
½ cup flax meal
½ cup all purpose flour
1 cup Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake Mix (or any generic multigrain pancake mix from bulk foods store)
1/8th teaspoon salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 Tbsp baking powder
¼ cup Smart Balance Omega Butter Light
¼ cup raisins
½ cup plus 2 Tbsp 1% milk
- Preheat the oven to 425° F
- Combine the dry ingredients; then cut in the butter and mix till breadcrumb consistency
- Add the milk a little at a time and knead gently till the dough comes together
- Turn dough onto a floured surface, knead a little more and roll it out to ¼ inch thick
- Cut out circles and place in a greased sheet pan and bake in 425°F oven for about 8 to 10 minutes till done on the inside (I usually test one to make sure)
For the garlic herb bread, same as above, except, no cinnamon powder or raisins or brown sugar; adjust salt to taste.