Treasured in Tuscany, Lacinato Kale is one of the easiest greens to incorporate in a portioned plated meals.
For this dish, the whole, washed, leaves get cooked in the microwave with a dash of salt and required amount of water. Then, it is ready for sauteing in the hot cast iron skillet, the skillet in which the chicken has just been cooked, so that kale picks up the flavors of the sauce.
Ginger and lavender come together to make a wonderfully aromatic and delicious sauce.
Ginger Lavender Sauce:
1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
3 Tbsp chopped lavender flowers
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp agave nectar
1 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce
½ cup red wine
¼ cup low sodium chicken stock
Combine the sauce ingredients, stir well, keep handy to add to cooking chicken.
2 marinated boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp olive oil
Thinly sliced red onions, if preferred (optional)
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet to high heat
- Add the chicken breasts and sear one side for 1- 2 minutes, then flip the chicken breast
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 8 minutes
- Then, add the sauce and cover and simmer gently till it reduces to about one-third cup total
- When internal temperature is 170°F and sauce is reduced, dish up chicken and reserve sauce for serving
- In the same pan, add the drained microwaved kale and red onions and a teaspoon of olive oil, saute till wilted to satisfaction
- Dish up the kale along with the chicken breast and serve warm