Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Amaranth Leaves Kohlrabi Coconut-Yogurt Soup



amaranth and kohlrabi recipes



Looks like I've been staying with the amaranth theme for the last few posts as I couldn't pass up the lush green bunch of amaranth leaves at the farmers market... Amaranth stems are irresistible when steamed -- almost like tender asparagus. I might have mentioned that I love saving the stems for special dishes...

And, apparently, anytime I spot kohlrabi I can't seem to walk away without picking up a bunch. From their sizable and wholesome leaves, and their thick yet tender stems, to their squat and plump bulbs, all coming together in a comically cheery package, I love everything about kohlrabi. And it's not just about their looks either. While this relative of Brassica oleracea family has shades of the infamous aroma that cabbage and broccoli are known for, kohlrabi also has a crisp pear-like crunch when raw that is perfect for slaw, and firm texture almost like potato when steamed tenderly.

This yogurt-based soup is a variation of the mor-kozhambu, a south India staple, typically served over steamed rice. The goodness of cumin and fenugreek along with the tropical staple, the coconut, makes this hearty soup a favorite with 75% of the population in the house. The other 25% will hopefully develop a taste for it soon, as it seems like the appearance is the main deterrent in this case.



amaranth and kohlrabi recipes



Ingredients
1 kohlrabi bulb, peeled and diced
2 cups chopped amaranth leaves and stems
1 Tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste

2 cups yogurt, beaten/whipped to a smooth blend

for the soup base paste:
1 Tbsp cumin seeds, toasted
1½ tsp fenugreek seeds, toasted
2 to 3 green chilies, chopped
1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
½ cup dry grated coconut

Preparation
  1. Grind the ingredients for the soup base into a fine paste, adding a splash of water as needed to form the paste
  2. Heat oil in a sauce pot, add the ginger, turmeric, kohlrabi and amaranth, a pinch of salt, and sauté till aromatic; then, add 2 cups of water, cover and simer till kohlrabi is fork-tender
  3. Stir in the soup base paste, adjust salt to taste, cover and simmer till flavors meld
  4. Off heat, stir in the beaten yogurt so it doesn't curdle too much
  5. Serve at room temperature or chilled

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older