Kale is another of those super-foods that has been finding its way into our regular meals over the last few years.
Be it Kale Slaw with Red Cabbage, or Kale Dal, or Kale and Chickpea Soup, or, Kale Quiche, or Oven-roasted Crispy Kale, or Kale Mushroom Bell Pepper Stir Fry, or Kale Sambar, or Steamed Kale with Onion and Garlic... Kale recipes are here to stay with us.
Fresh Rhubarb from the garden is hard to resist, I do find excuses to chop up a stalk or two and incorporate it into my usual recipes. That's how this Kale and Rhubarb Savory Muffins came about.
Serve these savory muffins instead of regular dinner rolls, or as snack or breakfast dish, fresh from the oven. I've also refrigerated these for up to 2 days and served after warming them up in the microwave.
1/3 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
¼ cup finely minced onion
½ packed cup finely chopped kale
1 Tbsp finely grated ginger
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/3 cup oat bran
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt (a pinch more if preferred)
½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon ground paprika
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1/3 cup fat free milk
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Add in the chopped veggies
- Stir in the wet ingredients, adding the oil and milk a little at a time to form a thick batter
- Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray, pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan and bake in 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, checking often after 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Allow to sit in the pan for a 3 to 5 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack
- Serve warm, fresh from the oven