Be it fried Eggplant Bajji or baked Eggplant Fries; sliced Easy Cheesy Eggplant or Roasted Eggplant Salad; Spicy Sauteed Eggplant or Eggplant in Garlic Sauce; Stuffed Baby Indian Eggplant or Moorish Eggplant Pilaf; Traditionally South Indian Eggplant Rasavangi or Asian Ginger Eggplant Tofu; mushy Smoked Eggplant Pachadi or Ajvar hot relish, this lovely fruit which comes in many commercial varieties is hard to ignore.
For this simple weeknight meal, large globe eggplant is sliced and baked, then topped with a mustard greens tomato sauce, feta and capers, and served hot from the oven.
Mustard Greens Sauce: Simply sauté onions, garlic and mustard greens, stir in some tomato sauce, add any seasoning, and simmer to desired spreadable sauce consistency, not too runny. This sauce can be prepared ahead of time. It also doubles as a good pasta sauce. Sometimes I use Kale instead of Mustard Greens for the sauce.
- Slice the eggplant, sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for about 20 minutes on a towel to draw out the bitter juices. Pat dry.
- Brush with olive oil on both sides and place in a single layer in a roasting pan.
- Bake in a 425°F oven for about 12 minutes till tender but not mushy.
- Remove from oven, top with sauce, feta and capers and return to oven.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 8-10 minutes.