Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bran Mini Muffins

banana-bran-mini-muffin


Once a month or so, when I am all fired up, I manage to whip up a batch of bran muffins to be consumed as a healthy morning breakfast.

I started making mini bran muffins, about two dozen at a time, as one mini muffin seems the right portion for my toddler Ana's breakfast, along with a glass of milk.

And, of course, D and I end up gobbling two each for breakfast so that the whopping two dozen mini muffins are gone by the end of the week :)

The recipe is fairly standard, nothing spectacular. It can be varied to incorporate fresh seasonal berries or even other dry fruits like prunes and cranberries (which are my favorites).

Optionally, I like to add a tablespoon of flaxseed meal to the batter, if handy - and it is usually handy in my kitchen as I try to sprinkle it on our meals about once or twice a week, especially for Ana :)

Ingredients
dry ingredients
1½ cup all purpose flour
1 cup bran
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
wet ingredients
½ cup milk
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
½ cup raisins
½ cup chopped walnuts


Preparation
  1. combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the center
  2. mix the wet ingredients together and gradually pour into the well made in the dry ingredients, gently folding them all together with a spatula till well incorporated; do not overmix
  3. pour into mini muffin pans - the ingredients here makes 24 mini muffins
  4. bake in a 375°F oven for about 20 minutes or till done - a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger amna said…

    I am waiting to get an appe pan so that I can try these out!

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Dori said…

    These look great, I like all the ingredients in them, like the banana, raisins and walnuts!

     
  • At 2:07 AM, Blogger Rodosee said…

    I daresay it's a little early for your toddler, but in a year or so you might want to add in whole flaxseeds instead of the ground flour. I use them all the time, and they add the most satisfying crunch --- subtly nutty yet not quite as assertive (or expensive) as sunflower seeds or the various tree nuts or peanuts.

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Sheela said…

    Thanks nags, meese and rodosee!

    and, you are right, flaxseed (whole) does add a nutty crunch and i use it whole sometimes; but, everything I've read so far indicates that to get full benefit (especially the fiber), it is best to grind it up...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older