Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Simple Onion Soup

onion-soup-2


I haven't been cooking anything exotic for a while now... mostly simple soups, or some of my old favorites. As I was sifting through, I realized I have not posted this simple onion soup recipe.

Nothing fancy, but, it turned out to be sumptuous and satisfying on a cold winter night a few weeks ago. It is a thin, watery soup, sort of like my favorite rasam :)

Ingredients
1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
1 can low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
3 Tbsp Frank's™ Red Hot sauce
1-2 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup herbed dry stuffing mix
2-4 Tbsp of your favorite blend of dried/fresh herbs: I used rosemary, marjoram, parsley and chives
water as needed
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 tsp brown sugar (optional)

Preparation
  1. heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onions till they carmelize
  2. add all the rest of the ingredients except water and stuffing mix and allow to simmer gently for a few minutes; add a little water if needed; adjust flavors to taste
  3. when ready to serve, add the stuffing mix to the bowl, pour some hot soup on top and serve right away; by the time it cools enough to start enjoying the soup, the bread in the stuffing mix is well softened and ready


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Suganya said…

    I believe herb roasted croutons would work instead of the stuffing mix. Thanks for such an easy recipe.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger amna said…

    oh! i wud love a bowl of that. my throat is feeling so raspy!

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Blogger indosungod said…

    Happy New Year! Sheela. The soup looks delicious, just the prescription for this cold winter.

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger Rodosee said…

    stuffing in soup! Such a fantastic, brilliant idea.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Sheela said…

    Suganya: indeed, croutons would work as well, or even slightly crisped bruschetta, anything you fancy and have handy - I just had extra stuffing handy from all the holiday cooking :)

    Nags: thank you... this soup is best straight off the stove, piping hot, else I would've tried to send you some :)

    indosungod: Happy New Year to you too! D and I take Jan 1st a little easy but I make a bit of a fuss over Vishu :)

    rodosee: thank you... to be honest, stuffing was handy and i was trying for ways to use it up and it wasn't bad at all :)

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Dori said…

    This sounds great...I love onion soups and I have written this down to try soon :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older