Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Vegetarian Thai Red Curry

thai red curry vegetarian


I make Thai curries often and realized I hadn't posted my recipe for red curry in over 200 recipes I have managed to jot down here so far, even though I have posted the green curry recipe. So, here it is...

Now, as I am not fond of shrimp paste or fish paste, I try to make my own Thai curry pastes. There are a few brands of ready-made Thai curry pastes that leave out the shrimp paste and fish paste (or at least do not list them in the ingredients list on the label), but, rather than hunt for them, I use this adapted version at home, making this Thai red curry a vegetarian dish to my liking.

I had a few Neon eggplants and a bunch of Thai dragon chilies from the home garden that need to be used up, the weather is getting chilly and the plants are not going to survive for long in our garden... feel free to use bird's eye chilies, or Serrano, or even milder chilies to suit your taste. Any favorite vegetable combination would work for this red curry.

Ingredients
1 5" long Neon or Ichiban eggplant, cut into chunks on a bias
1 medium carrot cut into bite-size pieces
1 medium potato cut into chunks
2 cups chopped kale
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium broccoli stalk, chopped (not florets)
spring onions and cilantro for garnish
1 can light coconut milk
2 Tbsp canola oil
salt to taste


for the red curry paste:
8-10 red Thai dragon chilies
4 cloves of garlic
4-6 dry red chilies
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
3 Tbsp chopped galangal* (or ginger)
3 shallots, finely chopped, or one small red onion
2 Tbsp lemon zest (or kaffir lime leaves if handy)
½ cup chopped cilantro stems**
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp canola oil
4 Tbsp finely chopped lemongrass (I use just the bottom 4-inches or so of the stalk)
water as needed

* I buy the dried packaged galangal, and reconstitute in water before using
** I usually use the leaves for garnish, and save the stems for chutneys and curry pastes :-)

Preparation
  1. Red Curry paste:Combine the ingredients above in a blender or food processor and blend to a smooth fine paste; adjust amount of chilies to your taste
  2. Curry:
    • Heat the oil in a pan, add the red curry paste and sauté till aromatic, till it turns darker and flavorful - about 8 minutes on medium heat;
    • add the chopped vegetables, enough water to submerge the vegetables, add a pinch of salt, cover and cook till vegetables are cooked but not mushy;
    • add the coconut milk, simmer for a few more minutes; garnish with chopped spring onions and cilantro

  3. Serve with warm jasmine rice, some crushed peanuts and sambal oelek or other sambals on the side

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger bee said…

    my favourite curry. thanks for the recipe.

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger amna said…

    i love thai recipes. this one looks real simple too

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Revathi said…

    Oh a hunt now for home made thai food.. Gonna do this once I get some coconut milk...thanks for the recipe

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Dori said…

    I love thai food and still haven't tried to make it myself...you are tempting me here!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older