Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Mysore Masala Dosai



When I was really young, I remember going to Mavalli Tiffin Room in Bangalore (Lal Bagh). Known famously now as MTR, the South Indian food served there was quite special and had that incredible home-made feel to it. MTR now also sells high quality packaged foods and ready-to-eat foods that are a favorite among Indians world-wide.

Anyway, RCI:Karnataka made me want to dedicate a special post to one particular dish that I used to order consistently at restaurants: Mysore Masala Dosai.

What made it special for me the first time I ate it in Bangalore was that it had this fiery, spicy chutney spread on the inside of the dosa, plus potato masala on the side, along with onion and coconut chutneys. It was a meal fit for a Queen!

Use any regular dosai recipe - I used my brown rice dosai recipe - for the dosai batter.

The fiery hot chutney I make is with red chilies, a tiny amount of shallots, very tiny amount of garlic and some grated coconut.

The potato masala is the same as what I posted in my poori-potato recipe

Once the dosai is made, spread a little chutney on the inside, scoop some potato masala in and roll up the dosai. Serve it with an array of chutneys like: coconut chutney, tomato chutney, extra potato masala, and even sambar, if you like.

I used my large rectangular griddle on stove-top to get the dosai a nice big oval - and one such large dosai is a huge and filling meal by itself!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger FH said…

    OH MY!!! You know MTR too! We used to line for hrs to eat there! Rava dosa,aloo palya ,ginger chutney with dollop of ghee. YUM!:D
    Dosa looks great sheela.Very authentic looking,thank you so much.Hugs!:))

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Rajitha said…

    wow.. what a yummy dosa and so long too.. where did you manage to get such a big one?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older