Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Poorna Kozhakattai

modakam-2


Among the few festivals I manage to celebrate to my satisfaction, Vinayaka Chathurthy is among the top, a few others being Gokula Ashtami, Navarathri, Deepavali, Arudra/Thiruvadirai, Karthigai, Karadayan Nonbu and, of course, Vishu - the New Year.

Apart from the symbolism and the rituals, each festival has its own special menu. The primary attraction I have is that most of the festivals we celebrate at our home are marked by mellow and subdued observances, solemn, meaningful and simple rituals, quite modest and unceremonious, yet, sincere and heart-warming.

The special menu item, offered as prasadam, that my mom usually makes for Vinayaka Chathurthi is this Poorna Kozhakattai aka Modakam pictured here. Today being Vinayaka Chathurthi, I was happy to make this poorna kozhakattai.

poorna-kozhakattai-1


And, as with most of my recipes, this is probably not entirely traditional as I have adapted it to the ingredients handily available in my kitchen.

Kozhakattai, in general, is a steamed dumpling-like dish, which can be sweet or savory, with the stuffing inside making up the attractive part of the dish. Poornam is the term we used in my family to refer to a concoction of coconut+jaggery+water, (sometimes black sesame seeds+jaggery, instead of coconut) in proper proportion so it sets to a soft candy consistency. This poornam is usually encased in the dumpling shell made of rice flour+water, and then steamed to make this dish poorna kozhakattai.

The amount of dumpling dough and poornam can be varied, so, adjust the quantities as needed, while keeping the proportion of ingredients fairly the same. I usually make a small batch...

Ingredients

for the poornam:
¼ cup water (optional)
1/3 cup fresh or dry grated coconut or 1/3 cup toasted black sesame seeds
1/3 cup brown sugar* (plus a few Tbsp more, if preferred)
*jaggery if it is clean, else need to strain to remove mud and residue

for the kozhakattai dough:
½ cup water
2/3 cup fine rice flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp canola oil

Preparation

Kozhakattai: heat the water in a pan just to boiling, add the salt and oil, then gradually add the rice flour while stirring constantly till the dough just comes together; off heat, cover with a damp cloth till poornam is ready

Poornam: heat the water in a pan, add the brown sugar (jaggery if it is clean, else need to strain well to remove mud and residue), when it comes to a boil, add the coconut and keep stirring till it just thickens but not too long or it gets hard as a rock; off heat allow to cool for a few minutes, grease your palms and roll into 1" diameter balls while still hot. (Or any size you prefer, I like little ones...)

Shape a small portion (say 2" diameter ball) of the dough into a cup, add one poornam ball, and close it by gathering all sides and forming a cone-of-sorts at the top, all the while turning/rotating the dough cup so it seals tightly, and is shaped as in the picture.

Note: the dumpling can be oval or round, but traditionally, poorna kozhakattai is round as seen in picture.

Steaming: Place the prepared dumplings in a steamer or idlee cooker and steam them briefly - the dough turns a little translucent when done.

p.s: came across Yum Blog's Ganesha Chathurthi event on Ashaji's blog, and thought I must send this along...

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Dori said…

    This is really a neat looking dish. I might dare myself to try this, it looks and sounds delicious!

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger FH said…

    Perfectly done, Enjoy the Ganesha Festival Sheela!:))

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger MR said…

    I just made these few days back
    recipe is so similiar :)
    U have a great blog!!!

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Blogger Raaga said…

    Perfect is the word :-)

     
  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger Sharmi said…

    how beautiful they look! I too made them but the rice flour coating was a lil thick.

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow!!

    One of my neighbors gave us this as 'prasad' on ganesh chaturthi.

    It was amazing. My daughter loved it. I might try making it myself someday.

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anu said…

    Kozhukattai looks very very inviting. Loved ur blog and the wonderful recipes displayed here :)

    I have posted my version of Kozhukattai in my blog My Scrawls. Do visit my blog in ur free time. Would be happy to receive ur comments :)

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Praba Ram said…

    got to give this one a shot this year, sheels. Been eyeing this recipe for a while. You are a pro! :) Happy VC! Will let you know how it turns out. Any other specials - sundal, vadai, appam? Do you have vellaappam and ulundhu vadai recipes on hand?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older