Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ethiopian meal

ethiopian meal injera and alicha


I started this batter for Injera last Sunday and it was finally ready today, so I made a simple meal of injera plus a few sides. I had already soaked, pressure cooked and frozen some brown lentils and potatoes over the weekend, so, that cut down on cooking time. This meal was ready within 35 minutes, quite surprisingly, with multi tasking and parallel processing, of course...

Injera: same as my all-purpose flour injera recipe except, I used half all-purpose flour, half sprouted ragi flour.

Ragi, aka finger millet, is very nutritious and available readily in India, but, I had some difficulty finding it at Indian stores nearby here - I had to keep checking back to see if they got a new fresh shipment - when it ages it feels stale and I don't like it much.

The sprouted ragi flour we had needed to be used up as I had bought it several months ago planning to make ragi kanji and ragi koozh (porridge of sorts) for my baby... but, since she eats what we eat anyway, and I didn't want any koozh or kanji for myself, the ragi flour just sat there on the shelf, aging not-so-gracefully...

I served it with mesir wat, and cabbage-potato alicha which are essentially the same recipe as I had posted before.

However, the y'abesha gomen is not quite the usual gomen. I had to use up the chard from our garden, so, the recipe is the same as before, just used chards instead of collard greens.

The selatta is just romaine hearts dressed with a simple vinaigrette of lemon juice and olive oil, some salt and pepper.

Also, served yekik alicha, bamya alicha, yeqey sir qiqqil - Ethiopian beet salad, Ayib Bemit'Mit'a - cottage cheese with hot chilies. So, it's a pretty loaded injera...


Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger Suganya said…

    Is teff same as/closer to raagi flour?

     
  • At 4:36 AM, Blogger Nupur said…

    I just bought some buckwheat flour to try your buckwheat injera. This Ethiopian meal is going to be my weekend project!

     
  • At 4:45 AM, Blogger Rajitha said…

    i looove ethiopian food..tastes soo yum! i always overeat when i go to blue nile... i will definately make this one out.

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger FH said…

    From Ennegai to Ethiopia!!:))
    I love that platter, never tried these but Ragi , we use it to make Rotti and Mudde, a Mysorean delicacy.

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Blogger TBC said…

    Never tasted Ethiopian food before & I'm curious now. You have a good mix of different cuisines here.

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger bee said…

    there not a single ethiopian restaurant where we currently live. as fans of this cuisine, our site will come very handy. thanks.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger Sheela said…

    suganya: as far as I have read, and used, they look and feel similar, but, are not the same plant...

    Finger millet (Eleusine coracana) is called ragi in India. It is common in eastern Africa and
    Asia—especially northern India, Nepal and Bhutan.

    Teff (Eragrostis tef) is an oddity in that until quite recently it was grown and consumed as a cereal in
    virtually just one region—Ethiopia and Eritrea. Its primary use there is as a cereal, but it is also used
    as livestock forage. It is grown as a forage crop in other parts of Africa and India

    source: www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/NPP/05-011.pdf

    nupur: let me know how it turned out, please :)

    rajitha: would this be the blue nile in Berkeley? If so, I liked their food the few times I've been there...

    Ashaji: I have such a low attachment to ragi that i never really tried to use it much - i must try the ragi rotti sometime - will stop by your site to see if you have a recipe i can use - i always love the simple way in which you present your recipes!

    tbc: pl. let me know what you liked about Ethiopian food after you try...thanks!

    bee: thanks... many of my recipes are approximations with available ingredients, so, I hope Ethiopian chefs don't frown at my adaptations:)

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Mansi said…

    sadly, I took my husband to an ethipian restaurant one time and it was a disaster...though its close to Indian taste, we felt it was too plain and simple, kind of devoid of spices!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older