Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Gobi (Cauliflower) Manchurian




This is one of my favorite Indo-Chinese adaptations. The dish is usually prepared fairly dry, with just a coating of sauce tossed together right before serving to prevent sogginess.

The recipe here is sort of made-up, so, adjust to taste as you like. And, usually, I vary the proportions a bit each time to see if it can get any better, and also because I may not have all the ingredients handy, so I improvise. I happen to like all the variations I have made so far. But, this recipe is fairly standard when I make Gobi Manchurian and thought I'll share it here.




Ingredients
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 cup rice flour
salt to taste
1 cup oil for shallow frying

for the sauce:
2-3 green chilies, sliced thin
1 medium onion sliced thin
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp plain white vinegar
2 Tbsp sambal oelek
¼ cup water
corn starch as needed for thickening

Preparation

par-cook the cauliflower florets in the microwave, pat dry, sprinkle some salt and keep handy

heat oil in a medium shallow pan for shallow frying the cauliflower florets

add some salt to the rice flour, dredge the cauliflower florets with the flour and shallow fry in batches till golden brown on the outside; remove with slotted spoon and place in a paper-towel lined plate

sauce: heat a few tablespoon of oil in a large sauce pan, sauté the onions and garlic, add the bell peppers, then all the sauce ingredients and let them simmer till flavors combine and sauce thickens

combine the shallow-fried cauliflower with the sauce, stir well, garnish with some slit chilies

Serve hot with hot rice.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Dori said…

    I love cauliflower any which way...the picture is convincing me this is what's for dinner!

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Sig said…

    wow, looks great sheela... I too have a sort of made up recipe for manchurian which I keep experimenting with, but mine is normally dry and not so brown... will try your variation with chicken...

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    ohhh so you've made GOPI manchurian hahahahaa, the local udupi restaurants serving indo chinese usually call it so :)
    Sheela, are you on g talk or some such messenger? Would like to catch up sometime !

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Sheela said…

    haha, you're right, nandita - i remember last year i was sitting at some smallish restaurant in T.Nagar (Madras) where you place the order to your table waiter and he just yells it out to the cook - yep, he yelled my order out for the whole street to hear: 'oru gopi manchurian, oru bel poori' !

    oh, yes, i am on googletalk and would really love to catch up...

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Sharmi said…

    your picture reminds me of my college days. I used to have gobi manchurian every day in my college canteen. oh your version tempts me to make some.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger TBC said…

    I love Gobi Mmmmmmmmchurian.I have never tried making it at home because of the elaborate procedure.
    Your pic is really tempting!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older