Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Monday, April 09, 2007

potato leek soup

easy recipe potato leek soup

In its simple and earthy form, I had this soup for the first time when my fellow resident and room-mate at the International House made it for our dinner one night. I loved it right away and still love it, although over the years, I have added some of my personal touches to this very hearty and basic recipe.

I like the simplicity - just three basic ingredients, plus some flavoring - brings about a comforting and filling meal, especially on cold winter nights.

As it is easy to throw together, I like to make a small batch fresh - the cheese doesn't do well on refrigerating and reheating. I've tried with and without sharp aged cheddar, and with other cheeses, but, prefer the strong flavor cheddar imparts.

Ingredients
1-2 medium potato, peeled
1 leek
a small hunk of cheddar, grated (limit the amount to taste)
1 Tbsp madras curry powder
1 Tbsp Tabasco® sauce
1 Tbsp black pepper powder
salt to taste
1 Tbsp hazelnut oil (or canola oil)

easy recipe potato leek soup

Preparation

remove about an inch from root end, and clean the leeks - there is usually a bit of dirt hiding between the layers; then chop finely

heat oil in pressure cooker, sauté the chopped leeks, reserve some for garnish, and pressure cook the potatoes and rest of the leeks with a bit of salt till mushy

mash the pressure cooked potatoes and leeks, stir in the spices and grated cheese and simmer on medium low heat till well-combined

Garnish with reserved sautéed leeks and grated cheddar.

Serve warm with home-made cornbread muffins, or garlic bread, or favorite dinner rolls.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Mandira said…

    hi, i'm glad that you want to participate in Green Blog Project. Send me an entry with a recipe you made using your plants. Send me pics of your plant, recipe and the permalink and I will add it to the roundup. My e-mail is ahaarmail@gmail.com. Looking forward to your entry.

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    This recipie sounds great, but I don't have a pressure cooker. Any thought on adapting it?

    Thanks

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Sheela said…

    hello Elizabeth: in the good old grad student days, i didn't have a pressure cooker and my friend when she made it for the first time, just cooked it on stove-top in a large stock pot. so, that should work... i like pressure cooker only 'coz it speeds things up for a weeknight dinner :)

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Blogger Tej said…

    Hi, I tried this recipe without cheese as I didn't have any at home. It was very tasty, have to try it again with cheese. Thank you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older