A thick slice of savory bread is perfect as tea time snack or as a quick lunch-mate for salads. While the sweetish cake-like zucchini bread and banana-blueberry bread and sweet potato bread get a huge raving endorsement, these savory breads are gaining in popularity as well with the kids lately.
The tiny wedge of purple cabbage that was relegated to the deep recesses of the crisper tray -- since I rarely throw away any vegetable before they are beyond redemption -- finally saw the light of day, but not for too long.
Why purple cabbage and sweet potato? asked the nicer half of the adult team at home.
Why not? I replied with conviction.
1 cup finely chopped purple cabbage
1 cup mushed cooked sweet potato
2 eggs beaten
½ cup canola oil
½ cup milk
1 cup grated cheeses - Parmesan and Colby jack or Cheddar
¼ cup flax meal
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt (reduce if preferred)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F
- Combine the wet ingredients in a large bowl and stir till well incorporated
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, sifting the flour
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture stirring gently and folding it in
- Pour into a greased standard loaf pan and bake in 350 °F oven for 35 to 40 minutes till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool on a wire rack before slicing
- Serve with plain whipped cream cheese