Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Green Leaf Salad with Spicy Sesame Bliss Dressing


A wonderful 2012 to you all!

As I look back at last year's recipes, I noticed that the frequency of posts here have lessened considerably. Not necessarily because I don't cook as much anymore, but, possibly because I fall back to the staples more in Winter - variations of soups/stews, casseroles, and such - and have pretty much shared them all a little too enthusiastically.

Salads have become such an integral part of the meals at home that I rarely think of writing about it. Just toss together available vegetables and greens, top with dried fruits and nuts as preferred, drizzle on some favorite creamy dressing or light vinaigrette... aha! it's the dressing that makes the salad for me. So, I can still write about salads here while showcasing the current favorite dressing.

And, I am rather finicky about the balance of flavors in the dressing/vinaigrette. Too much vinegar and it sets my teeth on edge; too much oil and it feels slimy; too much flavorful herbs and spices and it smothers the fresh vegetables...

For a while, the Pomegranate Red Wine Berry Chili Vinaigrette was the top favorite. It seemed like I couldn't have enough of it. The kids loved the strong flavors of it and preferred it as a dip for their hunk of sour dough bread on and off.

However, starting this year, this Spicy Sesame Bliss Dressing has become almost an obsession. I tried a few variations - cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, balsamic vinegar, garlic, herbs - before arriving upon this combination that has vaulted to the top favorite spot among salad dressings. This recipe is inspired by my mum-in-law's that I recently tasted.

Wheat germ and nutritional yeast are usually well-stocked in my kitchen and I try to incorporate them judiciously in the recipes. Packed with protein and many nutrients, wheat germ is one of the favorite ingredients in this dressing. As always, adjust flavors to taste and enjoy!

Ingredients
2 Tbsp Tahini (all natural sesame paste)
2 Tbsp wheat germ
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp Sambal Oelek
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp ground paprika
3 to 4 Tbsp water

Blend all the ingredients except water to a smooth paste, add a little water at a time and blend to desired consistency.





Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 2:37 AM, Blogger Priya Suresh said…

    Very interesting salad,love that dressing.

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Suzi said…

    Oh I love salads too and you are right about the dressing. Can't wait to make this one but I will need to get some wheat germ. BTW what is Sambal Oelek and where would I find it? Thanks for sharing this and Happy New Year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older