Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Keerai Mor-Kozhambu, Cheppan Kezhangu fry, Vendakkai Kaara Curry


Being of old school, and coming from hospitality culture, my mom likes to feed everyone. She takes it very seriously. She always has. Sometimes I think she has a masochistic streak trying to present half a dozen or so dishes for a meal. Of course, for the Shraddham (death anniversary ceremonies) of our ancestors, she used to make these strictly outlined menu that involved a 20-odd dish spread.

Despite letting her know I am not starving and don't need as much food, it has been quite a struggle to refuse the loaded plate she serves. Here's one such:

Spinach Mor-Kozhambu: Much like my other Mor-Kozhambus - a buttermilk savory dish usually served with rice.

Taro Root (Cheppan Kezhangu) pan-fried: Much like my other taro root recipe.

Okra spicy curry: Okra with onion, sautéed with salt and chili powder.

Tempering is mandatory for my mom. I leave it as optional when I am cooking.

Anyway, I know she feels the urge to make up for all the time she is not able to cook and serve us as we are living in two different continents with not as much visits as we'd like, thanks to hamster-wheel life...

So, if I break all my self-imposed eating-right rules and gorge a bit but make my mom's heart smile in the process, it will be well worth it. I can always try to lose extra lbs I've been meaning to for the last n years...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Kay said…

    Enjoy allt he glorious food! Nothing like amma-kai-saappaadu.

    I'm reminded of my mom's morkozhumbu. Even though I make a decent one that I devour, it doesn't stand a chance to my mom's.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said…

    Hey dear first time here..u hv a bful blog with stunning pics..hope to hear a word from u too...
    Platter looks deliciousssssss ..any leftovers pls.?..Nothing can beat moms food..njoy
    Sanyukta
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Sheela said…

    Kay:: Thanks! Of all the things she does, I had to request for her special Vatthal Kuzhambu (with a pinch of jaggery as I like it) and Vaazha Poo (Plantain flower) Paruppusili, and Podalangai Koottu :)

    Sanyukta:: Thanks and Welcome! Glad you took the time to leave me a note! Cheers :)

     
  • At 2:58 AM, Blogger Gowri Mohanakrishnan said…

    Loved your blog - found my way here via Nandita's Saffron Trail. Great recipes!Good fun looking at your needlework and crochet too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older