Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Moo-less Dark Chocolate Pie

mooless-dar-chocolate-tofu-pie-1


Now, technically, I'd like to call it Silken Soy Dark Chocolate with Agave Nectar and Splenda™ Filling on a Chocolate Wafer Crust. And that says it all, there is the recipe!

I've started loving silken soy tofu nowadays and find ways to use it more in my dishes. I used to buy it before, let it sit in the fridge for weeks, and dump it in the compost when it went past its prime, untasted, mostly for want of inspiration...

A web search will produce quite a good set of results for 'moo-less chocolate pie' and this recipe is an adaptation of one of the classic moo-less chocolate pie recipes I found (and didn't bookmark).

I am partial to dark chocolate. Milk chocolate is too sweet and cloying for my tastes. And D likes dark chocolate a lot too (72% or higher). So, this is a slight variation of the original moo-less chocolate pie recipe - a version I like to think is slightly "healthier" so I can eat that large slice without feeling terribly guilty :)

I went easy on the sugar and used dark unsweetened chocolate (bittersweet) along with some dark lightly sweetened chocolate (72%) for this recipe, some Splenda™ and some agave nectar.

Ingredients
1 block silken tofu
4 Tbsp Kahlúa or Toussaint or other coffee liquer (optional)
4 Tbsp Splenda™
4 Tbsp light brown sugar
6 Tbsp Agave nectar
1 cup bittersweet chocolate
1½ cups sweetened dark chocolate
1 prepared chocolate wafer crust (or Graham cracker crust if preferred)

Preparation
  1. Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler - simply boil water in a large pot and put the chocolate in a smaller pot that fits inside this larger pot and stir till it melts, adding 1-2 Tbsp of water as needed, not too much though
  2. Add the liqueur and the rest of the ingredients (not the crust) and blend/whip on medium speed till very smooth
  3. Pour into the crust and refrigerate for about 4 hours till firm enough for your tastes; I leave it in the freezer for an hour before serving so it is easier to slice and serve

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Kay said…

    Omg!! That pie looks so yummy! Why splenda, Sheela? Are you going the low carb route or just want to avoid sugar?

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Sheela said…

    HI Kay, had to cut back on sugar since pregnancy with Oggie... and while 'dieting' is seems impossible for me with two little ones and a hectic schedule, I am keeping an eye on the carbs too :)

     
  • At 2:53 AM, Blogger Kay said…

    That route worked(still works) for me too, pretty well! Goodluck with your efforts!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older