Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Florentine Omelette

florentine-omelette-1


I savor Sunday mornings: I let the baby talk and play in the crib with a few crib toys I sneak in when he is just waking up, before he notices me and jump-starts my day; I push down the surging guilt at not rushing to greet but letting Ana (who is old enough at 3¾) to get up from bed and read her books or play a bit in her room or even get out of her room if she likes.

I just sit on the bed, propped up with comfy pillows, savoring my morning cuppa, deliberately attempting to tune out the baby's prattle and Ana's parley with her dollies streaming in through the baby monitors.

And, when those 4 or 5 minutes pass, I busy myself thinking up a good way to cook up eggs for the morning brunch as I change the wriggling baby's diaper under Ana's watchful eye :)

This is just another omelette recipe, but happens to be D's and my favorite that I haven't posted so far. Typically, it is fairly thin, cooked only on one side, with favorite veggies and cheese filling, folded up and served warm with the morning joe.

As I make it in a 10x10 pan, this is large enough to be a meal in itself - usually ends up being Sunday brunch for us...

Ingredients
1/3 cup Eggbeaters™ whites
1 whole egg
1 tsp Herbs de Provence mix (or Italian herbs mix, if handy)
salt and pepper to taste
chopped spring onions for garnish
1 Tbsp Olive oil, or canola oil or even butter if preferred

Filling:
Baby spinach leaves
marinated and sauté mushrooms, if handy,
fresh grated colby jack or part skim mozarella or both
some diced smoked gouda, if preferred
some diced mock chicken sausage, if handy
Other veggies if preferred**

**I prefer not to use bell peppers or tomatoes as the omelette gets a bit soggy.

Preparation:
  1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat
  2. Beat the egg whites, eggs and herbs till fluffy - do this right before ready to pour in the pan and cook
  3. Pour into a fairly wide and shallow pan - I use a 10x10 square non-stick pan with about ¼-inch rim that works out just perfectly for this dish
  4. Pick up the pan and spread the egg mixture around to form a thin uniform layer, sprinkle salt and ground pepper lightly
  5. Allow it to set part-way, add the sausage, spinach, mushrooms across the middle, then add the cheeses on top of this layer of veggies, allow the eggs to cook through and the cheese to start melting
  6. Fold in the two edges to form a packet and slide it off the pan into the serving plate
  7. Garnish with chopped spring onions or any other favorite garnish like chopped parsley or shredded basil or oregano leaves

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger gtyuk said…

    lovely presentation, appetizing!

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger Cynthia said…

    Ah.... it is important to have those few stolen moments. Good for the soul.

    Will write soon.

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, your blog has been mentioned about in 'Times of India' -Delhi version, in the 'Whats hot' section on Feb 20, 2009.
    Congratulations! Have fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older