Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Simple Manicotti

manicotti-1


For the last decade or so since I read it, Manicotti has always reminded me of this little strip of Calvin & Hobbes

easy recipe simple manicotti italian vegetarian
Picture Courtesy: http://www.s-anand.net/calvinandhobbes.html#19951116
S Anand has a very interesting collection, and no, I don't know him from Adam and he is not paying me to plug it :0


Anyway, since Ana is not quite the Calvin, and since D was in the mood for it, I made a small batch for dinner some time back.

The recipe is really simple, just like for any pasta recipe I try to do on a weeknight: simply cook the manicotti pasta per package directions, stuff the manicotti tubes with your favorite stuffing (usually ricotta+herbs), top with sauce, bake for about 25 minutes.

Ingredients

6-8 tubes manicotti, dry
favorite tomato/pasta sauce

stuffing:
part-skim ricotta cheese
fresh grated part-skim mozzarella
fresh grated parmesan
dried herbs - basil, rosemary, marjoram, oregano leaves
salt to taste

Preparation

  1. Pasta: cook the pasta per package directions, drain, keep handy
  2. heat the oven to 350°F, keep a baking dish handy
  3. Stuffing: combine required amounts of the cheeses and herbs, with a pinch of salt - I prefer more ricotta and parmesan, a little less of mozzarella, but, the proportions can be varied to your taste; can even add cooked spinach, keeping it as dry as possible
  4. Sauce: can use store-bought sauce or make your own
  5. Assembly: stuff the manicotti tubes with the cheese mixture; layer some sauce in the baking dish, arrange the manicotti over the sauce in a single layer, top with more sauce
  6. Bake: in 350°F oven for about 25-30 minutes till cheese and sauce are bubbly

manicotti-2

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger bee said…

    now, if you don't send this for CLICK Noodles, it will be a real travesty.yeah, i'm shameless, but i haven't eaten dinner and this is making me drool.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger TBC said…

    I love the variety you have here.
    There's always something nice being whipped up in your kitchen:-)

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger sra said…

    Your manicotti looks delicious. I love Calvin and Hobbes.

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger Suganya said…

    Thats exactly the strip I was thinking about when I read the title.

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger Sig said…

    Lol, I remember reading that strip, and wondered what Manicotti is, but never looked it up :) So this is what it looks like... :)

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Sheela said…

    aww... bee, I am going to have to do a special noodles recipe for CLICK - this manicotti is just too blah - I peeked at the current entries and am truly inspired... (now, let's see if my enthusiasm overcomes my laziness by Nov 20th)

    tbc: thanks, how very nice of you to note that - I will have to point D to your comment next time he asks "Injera again?" :)

    sra: thanks... i sort of smothered it in sauce hoping it will go down easily with my toddler :)

    suganya: isn't is strange how some things just stick in our minds and never leave?!

    sig: you noticed the manicotti peeking out from under the sauce blanket! i was picturing this gorgeous tube with bubbly stuffing delicately sizzling out... of course, i blame it on my camera for the way the picture actually turned out - surely can't be me :)

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Sonya said…

    It looks wonderful. I've made manicotti before but it's been awhile. My hubby is not huge into italian but the kids and I love it. I need to come up with a creative way to make him crave it!

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Blogger Latha Narasimhan said…

    HAPPY DIWALI SHEELA!:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older