Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lemon Fruit Bread

amish-fruit-bread-3


My dear pal Sig sent me some starter for the Amish Friendship Bread so I decided to make this Lemon Fruit Bread with it. Not only was she nice enough to send the starter, she actually sent me a bread book! Thanks a bunch, Sig, you know how much I appreciate it.

Unlike the yeast-leavened traditional earthy breads (like the Ciabatta Olive bread with a Biga)which need to rise, and maybe rise again a few times, this bread is along the lines of banana bread and zucchini bread and such which are closer to cake recipes, using beaten eggs, baking powder and baking soda for the rise and fluffiness.

The starter came with the traditional Amish Friendship Bread recipe so I decided to try it out, with a few simple substitutions.

It turned out moist, fluffy and moderately sweet (just the way I like it - not too sweet). I've passed along the starter to some of my friends who don't have a food blog to pass along the goodwill...

amish-fruit-bread-1


Ingredients
wet:
1 cup starter
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
dry:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 - (5.1 oz) box instant lemon pudding mix
1/2 tsp salt
additional:
1 cup chopped prunes, figs, dates, apples
1 Tbsp lemon zest (optional)
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice (optional)


Preparation
  1. Beat the eggs till fluffy
  2. Heat the oven to 325°F ; Grease two bread pans and keep handy
  3. Combine the dry ingredients in a plastic or ceramic bowl, make a well in the center
  4. add the wet ingredients and mix gently with a spatula till well incorporated, do not over beat
  5. stir in the additional ingredients, if using
  6. Pour the batter into the two bread pans equally, spread a bit to fill the corners and bake in the 325°F oven for about one hour, or till done
  7. Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, slice and enjoy!


Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 4:29 AM, Blogger Shella said…

    Hi Sheela

    The bread looks lovely. Can you pls help me with the recipe of the starter - if its not too much to ask. Thanks

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Sheela said…

    Shella, I'd be happy to help... email me at delectable.victuals@gmail.com with any specifics you have in mind and I will try my best to answer them. Cheers!

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Dori said…

    Lemon fruit...sounds delicious!

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Mandira said…

    the bread looks delicious sheela. would love it with some hot tea now :)

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Sig said…

    That looks so great Sheela... I love lemon bread, and the figs and dates and prunes added to it might have tasted so great... Yummy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older