Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Navy Beans poduthuval

easy recipe navy beans palakkad palghat poduthuval indian vegetarian

Navy beans is versatile. I usually soak and cook up a large batch, freeze them, and conveniently forget about them :)

A handful in soups and stews, a cup or two mixed in with vegetable pulao, or cooked as in this poduthuval recipe here to be eaten as a snack, salad or a side, navy beans feels wholesome.

I like the navy beans to be cooked through, soft, but not mushy - still holds shape.

Poduthuval is a term I have heard my dad and grandpa use. I just use the term "curry" for everything - with gravy or dry as in this recipe :) I am not sure of the origin of the term, but, it fits the characteristics of this navy beans recipe here - dry spice powder (usually with coconut) used to flavor vegetables in Palakkad recipes my mom taught me.

Ingredients
1 cup cooked navy beans
1 cup frozen peas
½ medium onion finely diced
1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp brown sugar
salt to taste

tempering: 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 4-6 curry leaves

for the spice powder:
¼ cup grated coconut
¼ cup coriander seeds
3 Tbsp chana dal
1 Tbsp urad dal
4-5 dry red chilies


Preparation

toast the spice powder ingredients till aromatic, and grind to a fine powder, no water needed

tempering: heat oil in a pan, when shimmering add the mustard seeds and when they pop add the cumin seeds and curry leaves; throw in the onions and ginger, a pinch of salt, and sauté till onion turns translucent

add the navy beans, frozen peas, brown sugar and the spice powder, stir well, cover and cook till peas are soft; adjust salt to taste

Serve warm as a side with rice and sambar, or rice and mor-kozhambu, or just eat it as-is, like a salad, which is what I prefer :)

This Navy beans poduthuval is my 'N' dish for lovely Nupur's A to Z of Indian Vegetables event.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Kay said…

    I haven't heard about poduthuval yet. It sounds very interesting...

    Sheela, what kind of beans do you cook and freeze? Do kidney beans, garbanzo beans hold well, in the freezer? I'm trying to use my freezer to store partially cooked stuff to reduce the prep work during dinner time. This seems like a great idea.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Sheela said…

    kay, i soak and cook chick peas, black beans, pinto beans, navy beans and kidney beans;then i freeze them in several small plastic containers - say just about 1 or 2 cups cooked beans per container. This way, when I have to thaw and use, I am not thawing a large batch and try to use it up (refreezing thawed beans doesn't seem right). Hope that helps :)

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Suma Gandlur said…

    This is kind of a new dish. Whenever I think of cooking dried beans, I go with the usual onion - tomato stuff. This powder version looks different and delicious.

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Kay said…

    Thank you Sheela! This helps a lot. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older