Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Friday, January 05, 2007

spicy okra side

Okra and Eggplant(aubergine/brinjal) were ubiquitous when I was growing up. My mom made several dishes with them at least twice a week or so.


quick and easy recipe spicy okra side dish

This okra recipe here is very simple as I use store-bought spices and frozen okra. I prefer frozen okra (cut, or whole) as the fresh ones are not readily available year round; and even when I do find them, they are tough and stringy, not quite tender as I would like them.

Ingredients:
1 pkt frozen cut okra, thawed
2 Tbsp madras curry masala powder
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper powder
1/2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
salt to taste
tempering:
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal, split, dehusked
2-3 curry leaves chopped (optional)
1 Tbsp canola oil

Preparation:

  1. heat oil in a non-stick pan, add the tempering: urad dal first, when it turns golden brown, mustard seeds, and when they pop and die down, cumin seeds, finally curry leaves, lower the heat
  2. add the okra (usually i prefer to thaw and pat the okra dry, else it gets a bit too slimy), curry powder, brown sugar and some salt; stir well; cover and let the okra sweat a bit in its own moisture till tender and cooked
  3. remove the cover, and pan fry in medium high till desired brownness/crispness; adjust salt to taste
  4. serve warm with roti or rice and rasam

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll tell you what, Sheelar-I will mail you fresh okra (you poor thing you)and you can mail me some okra curry with hot rotis-please!

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sheela! I just HAD to write this- how can i (or even u for that matter!) forget how you used to cajole (read:force-feed, threaten,..) me to finsh the okra on my plate!. Me at the tender age of 7+ could do nothing except spend hours at the table, the okra on my plate being the single most hated thing in my little world and You ofcourse my 'elder sister' hiding your smug smile lest I should sense the joy you derived out of it ;-)

    But thanks to you, I simply LOVE okra now!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older